Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Dashiell, that is an interesting name!

I know it is interesting and we have been asked about it so I thought I would write a little about the name.  First of all, it is pronounced Dash-ull.  You may think you have never heard it before, but I bet you have seen Disney's "The Incredibles"!  The little boy is Dashiell Robert Parr, as his mother uses his full name once in the movie.  However, that is not where we got the name.  If you know much about me and my love of old movies, you have heard me talk about "The Thin Man".  These movies come from a book by the author Dashiell Hammett.  He also wrote "The Maltese Falcon".  If you are not familiar with these movies, check them out!

So, Dashiell is a name I reallly liked, but then I had to introduce it to Andrew.  He liked it but wasn't totally convinced until he found a page discussing the meaning of the name.  You can read it here, but I will give your our interpretation.  Dashiell is a french name without a known meaning but if you take the da or de Chiell, meaning from Chiell, but Chiell is not a place.  However, Ciel is a french word, and it means Heaven.  We really liked that and chose to let it have that meaning for us.  Our little boy is from Heaven and his name reflects that to us.


2 comments:

  1. I love the name! So glad you got to do skin/skin! Love you guys and so glad little man is here safely and doing well! Keep posting! LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of the name! I also like those movies and the blook Matlese Falcon. I am so happy that he got here safely. I pray that he gets to come home with his mom and dad soon.

    ReplyDelete